Love it or loathe it, Valentine’s Day is fast approaching. The shops are filling with flowers, love hearts, and personalised chocolate boxes. People are frantically swiping right to avoid V-day loneliness. Restaurants are getting ready for their second busiest day of the year, with two-thirds of couples planning on eating out this February 14th.
If you don’t want to ‘say it with chocolate’ this year but are stumped with what to buy your partner this Valentine’s, then look no further. We have sought out some of the best unique, different and thoughtful Valentine’s Day gifts.
For the Foodies – Malton Cookery School
They say that food is the way to a person’s heart, so why not book on a couple’s cookery class this year?
It just so happens that The Malton Cookery School’s ‘Best of Yorkshire Meat’ course falls on 14th February… If that’s not a sign you’re in for a good time then I don’t know what is….
Malton is known as Yorkshire’s Food Capital, and at the Malton Cookery School they have a range of courses from baking masterclasses to seafood demos, as well as food tours and supper clubs.
Check out their website for more info
For a Quiet Night In – A Movie Night Hamper
If a quiet night in is more your thing then we would absolutely recommend these adorable movie night hampers.
This Valentine’s hamper comes with a choice of DVD (don’t worry, they’re not all cheesy RomCom’s), prosecco, beer, movie snacks and a scented candle, all packaged up in a gift box.
It’s the perfect gift to make staying in that extra bit special without being over cheesy.
Check out The Unique Gift Store for more details.
For the Booze-Lovers – A Wine Course
Alcohol. The start of most good (and bad) love stories. Why not celebrate the thing that ignited your relationship with a wine tasting course?
The Yorkshire Wine School has a special Sparkling Wine and Champagne evening this Valentine’s Day, as well as numerous other tasting events including ‘The Ultimate Cheese and Wine evening’, ‘The Greatest Gin Tasting Ever’ and countless others.
Whether you’re a seasoned sommelier or just love a bit of Sauv Blanc, there will definitely be a course here for you.
Check out The Yorkshire Wine School for more information.
For the Cheesy Gift Lovers – Socks!
Nothing says ‘I love you’ like a pair of socks….
No, these socks are actually pretty funny. Some are even saying socks are gonna be the new flowers this Valentine’s Day. If you’re all for a bit of cheese this year, then why not stick you and your partner’s faces on some personalised socks? Thoughtful, personal, and easy to pair up. What more can you want?!
Click HERE to put the sole in soul mate.
Money is NO Object – A Helicopter Ride of The Yorkshire Dales
Are you happy to splash the cash for the one you love this Valentine’s Day? Fancy a taste of the high life? Why not treat your SO to The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa ‘High Flyers’ Afternoon Tea Experience and go down in history as the ultimate lovebird?
On selected days this summer you can enjoy a Champagne Afternoon Tea – and trust us, it’s The Devonshire Arms you know, so it’s delicious – and a 15-minute helicopter ride over the incredible Yorkshire Dales. This is truly an experience not to miss; take in the wonderful Dales scenery from a bird’s eye view with sensational vistas over Bolton Abbey, Appletree Wick, Burnsall, Gracoe, Hetton and Skipton.
Hearts will soar with this unforgettable and romantic gift experience, with the choice of a shared charter (up to four guests) or your very own exclusive flight for two.
Check out The Dev for available dates. Prices start from £278 per couple.
For those who prefer to DIY – Cook It!
For those either on a budget this year or who simply want to show their love in a more hands-on way (cheeky, that comes later…), our Girl About Harrogate has come up with a perfect recipe for a romantic dinner for two – The World’s Tastiest Fish Dish.
Save some dollar, avoid the hassle of getting a babysitter, and enjoy Valentine’s day alone without the prying eyes of 20 other couples down at your local gastro-pub.
Click Here for Sarah's Fish Dish
You will need:
- Large Oven Dish
- Fish – Enough so that the bottom of your large oven dish is covered with meaty fish, you’ll know how much is enough to feed you. Skinned and boned. I use whatever white fish is available: Cod loin, cod fillet, haddock, pollock, coley.
- Cherry Tomatoes – approx 200g
- Fine Green Beans – approx 100g
- Fresh Basil – 3 or 4 handfuls. The more the better.
- Fresh Mozzarella – 3 packs approx (though this depends on the size of your dish, I always get extra and then accidentally eat the leftovers with a few basil leaves and a glass of red wine as I’m washing up. Oops!)
- Salt and Pepper
- Rinse the fish and pat dry with some kitchen roll. Fill the base of your oven dish with the fish pieces and then season well with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Scatter a fine layer of green beans on top of the fish then cover with a layer of fresh basil leaves.
- Halve your cherry tomatoes and then layer these on top of the basil leaves. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper and then add another layer of fresh basil leaves.
- Finally, top with thick slices of fresh mozzarella so that the entire dish is covered.
- Put in a pre-heated oven (190 C) for around 30-40 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Serve with some warmed chunky bread or lashings of garlic bread – this is needed to mop up all the delicious juice that you’ll find at the bottom of the dish once you’ve served up.
For the Singletons – Personalised Prints
Single this year? Have no fear! Valentine’s day isn’t just about romantic love – here at Girl About, we are big advocates of Galentine’s Day. Unofficially falling on the 13th of February, Galentine’s day is all about ladies celebrating ladies.
Grab a bunch of your best gal pals and get together to celebrate your incredible friendships, support, and love with some good old girl power.
We hope you enjoyed our Valentine’s Day Gift Guide! Let us know your best (or worst) Valentine’s presents below…